Poston's 2006 Kazakhstan Trip

The journey of our family.

Friday, November 03, 2006

More Squirrel, Fried Chicken and Other Thoughts. - by McP


You never know what the folks at home will be interested in seeing from around the world! I got several emails and instant message questions about the picture of the unusual squirrel-like thing in Paniflov Park. The one I photographed was so aggressive I thought he might be thinking of eating us! They were park squirrels, of course, and were probably growing impatient with me - the guy who was taking pictures but not giving out food.

Of course, Cal pointed out the first one we ever saw in his first and favorite book which we bought for him here in Almaty...




The book is in Russian, so we have no idea what it is about, but he loves looking at it. As you can see pictured here is a strikingly similar tufted-eared squirrel-type animal, along with his friend, the badger-type animal with the cast on his leg, a makeshift crutch and a thermometer under his armpit. I'll let you know if we see one of those!

Today Alison and Cal stayed at the apartment while I took Mac and Alina back to Kok-Tobe!
We rode the blue gondola for the first time, which apparently had a great deal of importance to the smallest passengers. We packed a picnic lunch of peanut butter and banana sandwiches (yes, our 6 lb. bucket of Peter Pan P.B. is still holding up, although it is more than half gone), and M&M's and Cracker Jack courtesy of Grandmother Poston in Graysville.

Last night we had one of the best nights here. Another adopting couple - Marc and Lee Anne - invited us over to their apartment, where their son Reece played on the floor with Cal and Alina and Mac got to watch a movie. Marc is some heck of a cook, and fed us some of the best fried chicken I have tasted in a long, long time, with tomato & cheese salad and macaroni & cheese as a side. We ate like it was our last meal! Alina ate three chicken legs! We had a great evening. Marc, Lee Anne and Reece get to go home tomorrow. We want to thank them for our most home-like night in Kazakhstan. After the meal, we sat for a photo commemorate the gathering...


Nights like last night made us realize how much we missed the company of family and friends. - McP

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andy said that the fuzzy crazy haired squirrel creature reminds him of the killer rabbits in Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail.

I laughed.

Has anyone nicknamed this animal yet?

-Emily

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home