Poston's 2006 Kazakhstan Trip

The journey of our family.

Sunday, October 29, 2006

St. Nicholas Love Goes Around the World. - by McP




While we are happy to have involved our whole family in the journey to get Cal, it has not been without great sacrifice. Both Alina and Mac have missed a month and a half of school, but I feel have gained an educational experience of a lifetime.

However, to the mind of a six year old the loss of contact with beloved teachers and friends can be tough. I learned this the other day when on our way across Almaty I asked our driver Emil to take us by what sounded like a familiar place, "St. Nicholas." From the back seat there was total silence. I told the children that there was a Russian Orthodox Cathedral here in Almaty that was named St. Nicholas, and that I thought it would be neat to get a photo of it to show everyone back at our St. Nicholas School (above).

We arrived at the St. Nicholas Cathedral, an ancient wooden structure with beautiful golden onion-shaped domes. It was a buzz of activity around the property, with parishioners going in and out, members of the clergy doing the same, and a little shop selling religious icons, beads and candles. Several poor or near-poor people lingered around the edges of the property, most certainly taking advantage of the good will of the parishioners.

Both of the kids reflected a bit, then they told me that they really missed their St. Nicholas. I think you can tell this from the photo. Since seeing how much they miss everyone at home, I am more often bringing up the plans we have back at home - to keep reminding them that this is a process with an end and they will soon be back with family, friends and teachers who love them.

And while reflecting on these thoughts today I just opened an email from Kara Miscio, a teacher of Mac's who also taught Alina last year. She sent the following video file (below), of the students at St. Nicholas sending their greetings to their classmates in Kazakhstan! I can't wait to show it to the kids when they get up from afternoon naps. I know they will want to study each face and voice over and over. Thank you Ms. Miscio, and thank you to each student and teacher who had a part in this project! - McP

"GREETINGS FROM ST. NICHOLAS SCHOOL" (With much thanks to Kara Miscio)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see it's evening there, and I'll bet it's been another busy day. I'm glad you've been able to do some really fun things that will also make for wonderful memories for all of you (except Cal.)

The weather here is just wonderful, too. Yesterday for the homecoming parade the day was picture perfect. The floats were the best I've seen in several years. There really weren't lots of people there, but still it was good. This morning the sun is just glittering off golden leaves all around us.

Mac and Alina look tired in the St. Nicholas picture, and I guess that does reflect their wanting to be back home. Please let them know we love seeing all their pictures.

Love,
Aunt Faye

8:45 AM  
Blogger Kara said...

You are so very welcome! We miss you all so much!

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home