Poston's 2006 Kazakhstan Trip

The journey of our family.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Unexpectedly, The Best Birthday Ever. - by McP



I turned 47 today, and while I our current circumstances had me not thinking much about it or even looking forward to it, it has been a great day. Again we were blessed with beautiful Autumn weather in Almaty. I opened some cards that my family had Alison smuggle into the country. Many others have sent e-cards over the internet. Thanks to everyone!

Best of all, I got to spend the whole day with my family. Alison and I went out alone for the first time in I don't know how long! Of course, we both opted for an early evening so that we can get back to everyone at the apartment sooner. Alina picked out a cheesecake at the Ramstore and some candles. Getting the requisite number of candles were too many years for even the Kazakhstan fire code, so they opted for the candles in the shape of numbers. At one point in the store Mac and Alina reversed the numbers and joked that I was seventy-four! They have been telling us a lot of jokes, including some they learned at school that we have had to put a quick stop to!

Mac, Alina and I went on a long, long walk around the city. We walked around an urban university campus, up and down familiar and unfamiliar streets, and had a great time just walking and talking. I thought many times that I could not imagine a better birthday.

Unlike what my birthday would have been like at home, I got to spend the entire day with the immediate family. While I miss my extended family and friends, I know that many of you understand how rare and nice a day like this is.

Cal tried on his team colors today. As you can see, he likes it! Too bad that UGA has not been playing their best without their biggest fans sitting in section 102. Of course, I'll be upping that ticket order next year!







Mac and Alina were thrilled to get a FedEx "care package" from their Aunt Carolyn! We ripped it open and as you can see, they dove right into reading the books. They have been very frustrated in bookstores picking up something that looks interesting or familiar only to find that it is in Russian or Kazakh.






Cal got from his Aunt Carolyn a little Winnie the Pooh bear, with a bell inside its belly! He loves to shake it and toss it around the room.






Alison and I went to "The American Grill" for my birthday supper. As the day ends, we gathered for the cheesecake. It has been a great day. Thank goodness they got the candles on in the right order! - McP

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad you had a great birthday. Happy birthday to you! It's good to know everything is going well.

Cassie

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Alina and Mac!

More pictures of you reading books!!! Things that make your librarian sooo happy. Have a great trip.

Love,

Mrs. Mitchell

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ken,
Happy Birthday!!!! I know it was special to have time with your family...47 is sure to be forever in your memory. Glad to hear all is well and you are making the most of your time, in true Ken fashion.

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like a wonderful birthday.

Happy birthday Ken!

-Emily

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great birthday! So glad you are getting to have all these precious moments with your family

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home