Not an Ordinary Trip to the Zoo! - by McP




In my effort to give Alina and Mac the best experiences possible while in Kazakhstan, when I heard there was a zoo in Almaty I put it on our "things to do" list. Not just any zoo but apparently the National Zoo (Actually, the sign says "ZooPark" in Russian). Well, the three of us went today. I hope to give everyone a more full description of the place when we meet in person in the future. That would probably be more appropriate. Let's just say it was quite an experience!
I have never seen such a place that allowed the general public to get so close to some of the world's most dangerous animals! We were there at feeding time, thank God, so at least the beasts were distracted by the raw meat that had just been thrown at them. There was a two foot high metal gate that was supposed to keep people from the edge of the tiger cage, but it was left open. People were going right up to the cage and were actually less than two feet from where the giant tiger was having lunch. Needless to say, we did not get that close. There were other animals, however, with which we enjoyed the unusual closeness, if not the smell that comes with it.
There were other hazards that I was aware of and closely guarded against. O.K., I admit I was a nervous wreck! Visiting outside of the U.S.A. makes one keenly aware and appreciative of the American's with Disabilities Act (ADA). Navagating the streets of Almaty and Esik can be hazardous with a stroller or even on foot if you are not extremely aware of your surroundings. Open ditches and even missing manhole covers are common, as well as high curbs and almost always stairs without ramps. Trying it while pushing a stroller can be a challenge. I can't imagine the attempt in a wheelchair! Well, the ZooPark was no exception, with an occasional deep hole in the sidewalk in our path, unadorned with any warning or safety features. Alina was sweet when she heard me grumbling by adding that her cousin Jessica, who is blind, would not be able to easliy get around here.
We survived the zoo, but not before Mac volunteered to have a five foot long python or some other type of giant snake draped around his neck for a paid photo. He apparently understood better than I did what the photographer was saying in her pitch, as we had already posed next to her giant owl. During the snake episode I was too nervous to take a picture with my own camera, as I kept grabbing at the snake's head when it would turn around toward Mac's face! I knew well enough that it wasn't a "biting" type snake, and everyone knows it would take quite an effort to actually eat Mac, but I just didn't want him to be traumatized (like I was).
Alina settled on a ride on a Kazakh pony, which was more my speed.
I have continually instructed the kids to not say anything bad out loud about things they found "different" from home, and that just because something was not what they were used to or expecting, it did not mean it was bad. In this spirit Alina just kept uttering, "Daddy, this sure is an INTERESTING zoo!," as we dodged the gaping holes in the sidewalk (see photo). I bet she said it a hundred times.
But overall, it was a wonderful experience that they enjoyed a lot. Where else in the world will they get within ten feet of a man eating tiger, five feet from a polar bear, even closer to a python and a giraffe? Where else in the world will I ever again be given the wonderful opportunity to protect them from such dangerous beasts?
I would promise you all that we will not get as close to any dangerous animals again, but Mac is wanting to go into the beautiful and nearby Tien Shan Mountains for what he calls a "Yeti Hunt." I'll let you know how that goes. - McP



3 Comments:
Ken, thanks for such an entertaining account of what I know was very nerve wracking for you. I enjoyed your story very much :-)
As the resident OSHA person in our household, I'm feeling your pain when it comes to seeing potential danger. That being said, this was a most enjoyable read because I could see myself doing the same stuff!
God keep you safe!
My money is on Mac, with either the snake or the Yeti, or both for that matter.
Anyway would you mess with Mac knowing Alina has his back?
Post a Comment
<< Home