Poston's 2006 Kazakhstan Trip

The journey of our family.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

An International Affair - by McP


(Photo: Alison and the children at the Miras School - Note the beautiful Tien Shan Mountains in the background)

This afternoon (Sunday) we attended the Annual Charity Bazaar put on by the Almaty International Women's Club and the Diplomat's Club. The proceeds went to help the local orphanages. Of course, our Korean friends told us about this event. It was at the Miras International School, where the children of diplomats from all over the world attend. This was a beautiful facility and apparently a very good school - I suppose one of the few perks for moving your family around the world every few years.

I insisted that Emil come inside with us, rather than waiting in the parking lot, and he seemed to enjoy it. Alina and Mac spent much of their time in one of the classrooms, where teenage students supervised the children in doing art, watching movies, and generally keeping them busy.

Cal missed his morning nap for this, but was a real trooper in his stroller! Alison and I ate some food prepared by the Malaysian, Egyptian and Turkish delegations, and Cal enjoyed it as well. Mac and Alina ate some Turkish roast beef.


(Photo: Alison and Emil have a conversation, while Cal tries to follow along.)

I walked around to the different booths, and on one lap along with Emil. He commented on a ceramic horse (knowing that I like older things), telling me he knew it was Soviet as his family had one just like it long ago. On my next lap, I bought the horse, and presented it to Emil out of appreciation from our family. What I was not expecting was that he became very emotional, and was obviously very touched by the gesture. Apparently, the downfall of the U.S.S.R. was devastating to those who had established themselves under that system. For example, his parents - both scientists - lost everything in the bank as well as their careers. Even many of their personal effects were lost. Who knows, it might have been their actual ceramic horse! Emil himself had followed his parent's footsteps in becoming a molecular biologist, but now ekes out a living driving American adoptive parents around Kazakhstan.

Before we left, I introduced him to the Ambassador from Korea, and they exchanged contact information. Emil was very happy, now having a contact in the diplomatic corps. Now perhaps he will get even more work from foreign people needing to know their way around Almaty!

As we drove back to the apartment, Alina and Mac took turns sharing a taste of their lollypops with their little brother. He was very appreciative! Alison and I noted that six years ago this very day, we met Alina for the first time, and soon headed North to Kokshetau to meet Mac.



Today at the festival, Mac told us that for a moment he felt like he was "in a dream." I told him that I understood him completely. - McP

1 Comments:

Blogger Valerie said...

Thanks once again for sharing details of your adventures. It is so fun and interesting to read.

7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home